Drink a cola alternative, instead of quitting cold turkey
Quitting cola cold turkey can be very difficult. Even reducing the amount by say 4 oz a day is not much easier. A better solution is to use a healthy cola alternative.
Among other things, Cola has caffeine, sugar, flavor, and is cold. An alternative would certainly need to have caffeine. An ice tea made from Yerba Mate, a South American tea, can provide caffeine. For more caffeine you can add its extract.
Sugar and flavor, as well as nutrients, can come from concentrated fruit juice. I like pomegranate, tart cherry, Sambucus black elderberry, and cranberry. Peppermint essential oil gives a burst of flavor, but no sugar.
- 3.5 to 4 ounces of cold Yerba Mate tea
- 2 droppers of Yerba Mate extract
- ½ ounce fruit juice concentrate, optional
- tart cherry
- Sambucus black elderberry
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, optional
- In a 5 oz measuring glass add Yerba Mate tea and Yerba Mate extract,
- If desired, stir in concentrated juice or lemon juice,
For a low-carb drink, I use lemon juice instead of a fruit juice concentrate.
What is your favorite cola alternative?
Leave a Reply