Sardines are a tiny fish with edible bones and skin. The bones are rich in calcium, the skin in collagen. Look for whole wild sardines, including skin and bones, that are packed in water with no added salt.
I first tried eating sardines whole but found I preferred them mashed with mayonnaise and served as a salad.
- 2 4.4 Ounce cans wild sardines packed in water with no salt
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-2 Cups chopped vegetables (celery, cucumbers, radishes, turnips, beets, carrots, green onions)
- Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Olive oil
- Drain the water from the sardines, and place in a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and mash until smooth.
- Choose one or more vegetable and chop into small cubes.-
- Place the sardines in individual bowls and top with chopped vegetables.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil.